As inspired by my reading of One Thousand Gifts, I’ve started my own burgeoning list of all those sundry things for which I must give thanks to God. It is almost hardest for me to remember to be thankful for the smallest of things, so I am enjoying this exercise.
Here’s a look at some of the items and moments that have graced my list of late (as well as some of the prayers they have also incited):
Dear Lord, thank you for all your gifts, including:
- A good book to read and inspire me.
- Warm flannel sheets.
- Pretty, soothing music that comforts my soul.
- An onion to chop up.
- Extra ingredients for tonight’s dish, and the perfect amount.
- Your patience regarding calling me back to you.
- Your perfect timing regarding ending my job.
- Providing me with this respite right now, a chance to relax. (Please help me enjoy and relish it!)
- Ready cups of coffee that are sweet to my taste buds.
- The stories that you share with me in the Bible. (Please help me continue to learn from them and fall in love with them!)
- Easing into the morning slowly.
- A clean desk welcoming me to the day.
- My blueberry scented candle that burns scents into the winter air.
- The insights and clarity you give when I take the time to sit down and listen.
- Giving me blankets to throw over my lap
- Giving me a kind and loving husband who shows me your love daily. (Please help me be able to better reflect your love back to him.)
- Inspiring me to keep this list. (Please teach me through this. Please change my heart.)
Cultivating Gratitude for the Smallest of Things